Translate

18 May 2015

Night Duty

Coming home at around 1:15 in the wee hours of the night, our visitor opened the door for me. Apparently, my grandmother's check-up is scheduled for today (although technically, that was yesterday already) and she and my aunt traveled from Or. Mindoro to Veterans Hospital all the way up North. I was surprised to see my aunt's face aged 10 more years compared to the last time that I saw her which was more than two months ago. Caring for an old person is hard. But add Alzheimer's disease and diabetes to the formula and you'd get the worst time of your life.

It has been two years since my grandmother was diagnosed of Alzheimer's disease. At first, it wasn't that much of a burden because it was rare that she forgets about anything. She is an intelligent woman. A teacher turned District Supervisor, she was wise and sharp. She even remembers every single person who has a debt from her. Anyways, as the months got by, her condition worsened. Being a diabetic, it was already too much when she wakes my aunt at least six times in the night just to go to the bathroom and afterwards ask for water. Now that she has become worse, getting even forty winks would be a miracle.

Being that, as a Nursing graduate and a granddaughter, I sympathize with my aunt and shared the load of taking care of lola tonight. This will be a long one as for the last 30minutes, my grandma has already gone to the bathroom thrice, asked for water four times and has shouted "Nay!" (my great grandmother) twice. The latter was the worst.

Tonight I want my aunt to have a decent sleep. For her sleep has been deprived from her for the last 18 months. She is also a first born like me and I feel the pain of watching your mother so helpless and now, calling out for her mother. Though it was creepy, as it sank to me the meaning of this, I feel the huge responsibility of being a daughter. One who has to take care of her parent the moment they feel that life is slowly ebbing away. Not only because it is a responsibility, but also out of respect. Out of love.

No comments: